Thursday, September 11, 2008

apparently I suck at poker now

Not good. 3 tourneys tonight. The first I get knocked out with AQ, bad player calls, board comes 789T then A. I bet, he minraises, I decide to call b/c he could have called with a worse ace. He did, A6 and he had the straight. This crippled me and I'm out soon after. What a crappy call.


Second tourney, out in 2 hands. Call a raise with TT from the small blind, flop comes TJK, I overbet my set, he puts me all in. I decide he's got a combo draw like AK or AJ, no way he flopped the nut straight and has AQ, right? Nope, he flopped the nut straight.

Last tourney I was desperate to find some fishies on Sharkscope - dropped all the way down to a $10 6 man after looking for a table for 30 minutes. The good news, I place second and my bad, heads up opponent flopped straights, flushes, and two pairs all over the place. (net profit - $10. Woohoo!). Once I held AA and flopped A33 but he didn't pay me off. Just about every other hand he started off ahead or outflopped me (or so it seemed). He was very easy to read - he might as well had his cards face up. Minbet = I have nothing or a little something like bottom pair. No bet = I have nothing (maybe a draw). Half pot bet = I have top pair. Pot bet = I have better than top pair.


Below was an interesting hand, of course I hit the idiot end of a straight on a flushy board, but the pot was offering 2.35-1 after my bet - figure I gotta call. (especially after the turn check). Does anyone disagree with my action here? Check-folding a straight, even the idiot end, seems pretty weak. If I check, he'll shove, and my odds will be much lower, so I'm wondering if this gives me the best odds to win.

See? Hands like these are why I suck at poker.

Full Tilt Poker, NL Hold'em Tournament, 30/60 Blinds, 3 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

BB: 5,227
BTN: 883
Hero (SB): 2,890

Pre-Flop:
(90)
8 9 dealt to Hero (SB)
BTN calls 60, Hero calls 30, BB checks

Flop:
(180) T J A (3 Players)
Hero checks,
BB bets 60, BTN calls 60, Hero calls 60

Turn: (360) 2 (3 Players)
Hero checks, BB checks, BTN checks

River: (360) Q (3 Players)
Hero bets 200, BB folds, BTN raises to 763 and is All-In, Hero calls 563

Results: 1,886 Pot
BTN showed T 9 (a flush, Ace high) and WON 1,886 (+1,003 NET)
Hero mucked 8 9 (a straight, Queen high) and LOST (-883 NET)

1 comment:

bastinptc said...

Welcome to your first bad run.