Saturday, November 22, 2008

Go Buckeyes!

The Buckeyes made us a little uncomfortable against the almost-hapless Wolverines today, but they kicked it into gear in the second half and prevailed. Their impressive victory gave me some extra courage tonight.

Full Tilt Poker, $10 + $1 NL Hold'em Sit n' Go, 200/400 Blinds, 2 Players

Hero (BB): 8,585
SB: 4,915

Pre-Flop: (600) 6 7 dealt to Hero (BB)
SB raises to 800, Hero calls 400
villain has been aggressive headsup, but he offers me 3-1 pot odds. 6-7 is an easy call

Flop:
(1,600) K 7 4 (2 Players)
My first inclination is to bet out, hitting my middle pair. Then I come up with a different strategy...

Hero checks,
SB bets 1,100, Hero raises to 7,785 and is All-In, SB folds
A checkraise with middle pair! Pretty dangerous, I would admit - if he's got any king, he's calling, most likely - but this opponent was betting often enough that I felt like the combination of calling his preflop raise and my checkraise showed great strength. I got the fold I was looking for.

Results: 3,800 Pot
Hero mucked 6 7 and WON 3,800 (+1,900 NET)

This play won me a huge pot and put me into a commanding lead that I turned into a tourney victory 4 hands later with an AQ vs. A8.





No comments: