Friday, February 27, 2009

preview - monthly waterbury tourney tonight

I took the day off to go to the Auto Show with the Good Lady Wife - imagine our surprise when we drive out to the show only to be told that it starts tomorrow. Whoops. I've gone to the auto show several times on the first Friday of the first weekend - this starting on Saturday thing seems awfully odd.

Oh well, I got a free day off out of the deal.

Tonight is the monthly local Waterbury tourney. I have done extremely well at this tourney - two first and two second place finishes in the past year, that includes 3 monies in the past 4 events.

I consider these good finishes due mostly to luck - good cards at the right time. the one place I do think I excel, however - is late/high blind strategies. It's obvious that most of the occasional live players aren't used to my kind when I get all shovey-shovey with 8 BB, and this tactic has kept me afloat time and time again.

I would really like to try it the other way, though - where I get an early double up or two and get to run over the table.

However, I'm not going to force it, especially early. There are too many poor players that will defend their blinds with K8 because "it's a good hand" and put you in marginal situations with little idea if you're ahead or behind. I think tight early is the name of the game, and hopefully you flop a set or get your aces (and they hold up) to give you a little breathing room. If not, then you should be able to fold your way through half the field, and then open up later.

We'll see how it goes. The one thing I've never done in this tourney (partly due to my strategy) is bust out early - but I'm bound to be on the wrong side of an Aces vs. Kings battle sooner or later (or on the right end of a suckout between the same).

No comments: