Wednesday, June 2, 2010

the 3bet/4bet/5bet game almost pays big dividends.

tough table last night - was waiting for another so I could move, but one wasn't coming up, so I tried to ride the storm for a few orbits.

Trying to become much more aware of table dynamics - where are the bad players, where are the shortstacks, where are the TAGs. Where is my money going to come from.

On this night, I had a 25/20 two seats to my left. His stats say that he folded 87% of the time to steal attempts, but he wasn't folding to me.

First attempt was a three bet. I had garbage and let it go.

Second attempt was a call from the blinds to defend, then a donkbet into a Queen-Eight-Four flop. I held ace-four. First instinct was to give up with bottom pair, but I chose a different tact. I considered what types of hands would make this play - I decided pocket pairs trying to setmine (and missing), and maybe weak queens like JQ, played for connector purposes, but now testing the waters as a top pair hand. None of those hands are thrilled with their standing right now. I floated the bet.

The turn brought a ten. Fills some gutshots, not much else. The villain donks again - he's got some type of hand, but I don't feel he's very strong here. I raise him up with bottom pair. He thinks an awful long time, then folds. The power of position.

My aggressive image is all set up - now all I need is to have a hand to back it up next time. How about pocket kings? Folds to me on the button, I make my standard raise. The defender three bets. Smooth call or four-bet? I choose the latter - I'm hoping he decides to make his stand now with ace-jack or ace-queen. He smooth calls the four bet - an odd choice, I figure all that this can be a pocket pair hoping to setmine (with insufficient odds to do so in a four bet pot), or maybe ace-king.

Once he smooth calls, I know I can comfortably get it in on a non-ace board - the stack-to-pot ratio is somewhere around 2. A nine-nine-five board is about as safe a bet as you can get. I'm hoping pocket tens+ decide the same thing (or even ace-king if he REALLY thinks I've been out of line), but the villain check/folds. I still end up with a decent pot, though.

After this hand, the table changed again, and was even further against my liking. I called it a night.

1 comment:

Memphis MOJO said...

Good post.

table dynamics - where are the bad players, where are the shortstacks, where are the TAGs. Where is my money going to come from.

So important and so much easier to do live (vs. online).