Tuesday, June 22, 2010

what would you do? open ended on monotone board, facing minbet

Feral Cow Poker
Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em $0.05/$0.10 - 9 players

BB: $9.24
UTG: $4.77
UTG+1: $11.52
MP: $4.71
MP2: $1.94
HJ: $4.88
CO: $16.71
Button: $10.56 (Hero)
SB: $13.05

Preflop: ($0.15) Hero is Button with (9 players)
UTG calls $0.10, 5 folds,
Hero raises to $0.45,
First instinct was to call on the button, then remembered that I'm working on increasing my "punish the limper" range to any ace, any pair, any two broadway cards. QTo qualifies, so punish it is.


SB folds
, BB folds, UTG calls $0.35

Flop: ($1.05) (2 players)
UTG bets $0.10,
First question, do you call this minbet?

You've flopped an open ended straight draw, but the two hearts of your outs are tainted. No idea if your overcard outs are any good. Seems like I have, at most, 6 outs, but 6 outs gives me 11/1 odds on my card coming on the turn, and he's offering me 10.5/1. Close + implied odds + fold equity if his hand is something I can push him off later (like one heart that doesn't get there). I make the call.


Hero calls $0.10

Turn: ($1.25) (2 players)
Bingo - straight city. A nice card, but he could have been sucking me in with a made flush. Seeing as he started with half a stack, I don't really care. I'm not folding a straight for half a stack, especially if he's chasing hearts with some of his range.

UTG bets $0.10
,
The minbet again, looks weak/scared to me. Gotta hope he has one heart and get it in. If he's sucking me in with a flush, nice hand by him. I think the shove looks the most bluffy.

Hero raises to $4.35
, UTG calls $4.12, and is all in

River: ($9.69) (2 players)

UTG showed , and lost with three of a kind, Nines
Hero showed , and won ($9.05) with a straight, King high
Hero won $9.05
(Rake: $0.64)

Moral of the story - don't minbet.

1 comment:

The Poker Meister said...

Terrible play on the villain. Of course I call the min bet on the flop - I'd call it with AKo, though the hand would not turn out nearly the way it did if a King turns (I wouldn't be all in). I believe the min bet is intended to get you to raise the flop / turn. However, he should be trying to get stacks in given that he has a half stack.

BTW, nice overbet for value on the turn. From $1.45 to $4.35 all in? Nice!