Sunday, August 15, 2010

Stop scoreboard watching

Leak fixed tonight. I usually keep my PokerTracker screen filtered for "Today" and refresh periodically to "see how I'm doing". This is bad for about a zillion reasons.

1) It irritates you when you lose minor hands that might bring you from positive to negative in a session
2) You might stop after some pre-determined buy-in threshold ("Up a buy-in, let's call it a night"), even though you're playing well.
3) (insert a zillion minus 2 reasons here).

Constantly checking your PT3 screen mid-session is the epitome of results-oriented poker. Which of course you're not supposed to do. So tonight I minimized the PT3 window and kept the filter off. And I played. I played quite well, if I do say so myself. Flopped a set of sixes and stacked an overpair. Two pair KQ whacked AK for a big pot. KQ outkicks KT from a loosie-goosie. Then my favorite hand on the night...

A pack of feral cows chewed their cuds for .0043 seconds to convert this hand
Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em $0.05/$0.10 - 6 players

SB: $8.74
BB: $20.49
UTG: $10.00
UTG+1: $17.63
CO: $10.76 (Hero)
Button: $17.84

Preflop: ($0.15) Hero is CO with (6 players)
2 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, Button folds, SB calls $0.25, BB folds
Cutoff raise with connectors. Only 4 hands on SB, but his stats are 75/75. Aggro, I would have to guess (ha)

Flop: ($0.70) (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $0.40, SB raises to $1.40, Hero calls $1
Straight draw, backdoor flush draw. My Cbet is raised, but I've got some equity. "Don't give up on this pot yet!" my friend Mr. Pietzak would say.

Turn: ($3.50) (2 players)
SB bets $2.25, Hero raises to $9.06, and is all in, SB calls $4.79, and is all in
My backdoor draw comes in. Time to go with the hand. I figure I have some fold equity from an aggressive player, but he calls. Looks like I'm gonna have to hit my draw.

SB shows
Hero shows
Ha! We've got the same hand. Open ender + a flush draw. Him diamonds, me spades. Both of our equity in this pot is exactly 50%. Of course, he had the "stronger" draw because he had straight flush outs, but any diamond beats me, so these don't count for extra. Overall, I feel like I played a hand a bit better, simply because I got the last bet in - he had to call all in with his monster draw - he's a 2-1 dog against a made hand.

River: ($17.58) (2 players)
Weeeeee! I hit my flush.

SB showed , and lost with a pair of Jacks
Hero showed , and won ($16.41) with a flush, Jack high
Hero won $16.41
(Rake: $1.17)

A hilarious hand. Probably not hilarious for him.

So how did I do on the night? I'm not supposed to care anymore, remember?

No comments: