Monday, October 18, 2010

What would you do? Nit limps UTG+1


Feral Cow Poker
Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em $0.05/$0.10 - 9 players

SB: $3.76
BB: $10.00
UTG: $11.75
UTG+1: $10.34 7/3, 346 hands.
MP: $10.49
MP2: $10.15
HJ: $16.74
CO: $18.25 (Hero)
Button: $7.88

Preflop: ($0.15) Hero is CO with (9 players)
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $0.10, 3 folds, Hero ???

I continue to work on using all the information at my disposal before making a decision. Here, a 7/3 limps in early position - his early position stats are also 7/3.


What would you do?


Hero Folds.

I'm sure you're all going to call me a nit for folding KQs, but I didn't see how I was going to make money in this situation. I am a 2:1 dog vs. a 7% limping range, so if I raise, I am raising as a bluff (trying to get better hands to fold). This player simply doesn't HAVE worse hands than KQs in this situation. I suppose limping and hoping for a monster flop or monster draw is always an option, but I reasoned that many flops that give me monster draws might also smack this player's range to the point where he doesn't want to fold, either (monster draws lose their semibluffing value if opponents aren't going to fold). Plus if I call behind, I probably set off the chain of callers, and the top pair value of KQ goes down in a multiway pot where I can't put players on any type of valid range.

Like I said, I couldn't see how I was going to make money on this hand by raising, or by calling, so I folded.




2 comments:

MicroRoller said...

Really weak folding KQs in good position here against a rock. You have about 40% equity against his range and if his post flop stats are anything like his pre flop stats he's going to let you know if you're beat.

There are three other players left to act here but you don't give any information on them so it's hard to say but I doubt I would fold here in a cash game.

Depending on my own image and how often UTG+1 folds to cbets I might raise here to isolate and plan to take it on the flop with a cbet 70% of the time against a very tight player at 10NL. A good percentage of the time if they donk bet as well.

The only hiccup is the short stack in the SB that might want to make a move so I'd want to have a good feel for them.

At worst I would overlimp and possibly call a small raise.

Poker J said...

You can make money with QKs many ways. 2 pair and multiple draws. like other comment, over limp and play multi way pot or iso, Cbet, take it down. If he calls your flop cbet, well, that is where the game gets fun.