Tuesday, March 30, 2010

easy hand thought process

I need simple hands and simple situations to do a great job handreading - I was on this hand all the way through, and had a plan the whole way.

Full Tilt, $0.10/$0.25 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 9 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

UTG+1: $24.94
UTG+2: $10.22
MP1: $3.14
MP2: $18.25
CO: $22.65
Hero (BTN): $31.59
SB: $40.46
BB: $14.97
UTG: $97.14


Pre-Flop: 6 6 dealt to Hero (BTN)
6 folds, Hero raises to $0.75, SB folds, BB calls $0.50

Standard open raise on the button with a small pocket pair. Blind defends. He's got broadway, pairs, suited connectors, suited aces. Bad players have any ace.

Flop: ($1.60) 5 5 T (2 Players)
BB checks, Hero checks

Flop that misses most everything. No draws. Villain checks. I think he donks with his pairs, knowing I missed all this too. Or he might checkraise (with a pair or with air, knowing it's unlikely I hit this board also). In either case, it's the standard "way ahead or way behind" situation, and giving a free card usually doesn't hurt. If he has 2 overs, I'm a 3-1 favorite to his 6 outs. If he is planning a checkraise, then my flop check behind foils that.

Turn:
($1.60) 4 (2 Players)
BB bets $1, Hero calls $1

A good card, starts percolating some baby straight and flush draws. My check on the prior street makes villain think I have nothing, he will bet ace high here. I'm calling this bet, and I'm calling a normal river bet too, unless maybe the backdoor flush gets there, then we'll have to see.

River: ($3.60) 2 (2 Players)
BB bets $3.60, Hero calls $3.60

Great card for me. A3 straight got there, and pocket twos. 3-6? Nah, no way. If he's got them, he wins, I'll pay it off. Everything else stays unchanged. My guess is he's got something like ace-jack. I am certainly following through and calling.

Results: $10.80 Pot ($0.54 Rake)
Hero showed 6 6 and WON $10.26 (+$4.91 NET)
BB showed J Q and LOST (-$5.10 NET)

Suited broadway - right in the range I assigned him on the flop. My flop check got 2 streets of value with a small, unimproved pocket pair. He was able to put me on nothing after the flop, and several draws on the turn, so he tried to push me off all that with bets out of position. I win a 20BB pot.

Note that there's no guarantee of victory as I call the pot size river bet. He flips over pocket fives for quads and I get to puke. Or pocket fours, or AT that he was planning on checkraising, or the Ace-3 wheel. I could lose. But these hands are far outweighed by all the other stuff he can have and bluff - his range is weak, he's out of position, and firing and hoping. And I'm calling him down.


No comments: