Tuesday, March 9, 2010

posted a win...

..But I'm still making mistakes as I try and take in all this new stuff. Occasionally my hand-range-finder works pretty well (at least it's trying to figure out what he has), but then the villain is tricking me and I lose the pot.

Example:

Full Tilt, $0.10/$0.25 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

UTG: $28.71
Hero (CO): $25.35
BTN: $27.46
SB: $28.55
BB: $25

Pre-Flop: 7 8 dealt to Hero (CO)
UTG folds, Hero raises to $0.75, 2 folds, BB calls $0.50

Flop: ($1.60) K 8 5 (2 Players)
BB checks, Hero bets $1, BB calls $1

Villain check-calls. Looks like a heart draw or someone who doesn't believe my c-bet.

Turn:
($3.60) Q (2 Players)
BB checks, Hero checks

check/check. Does he slowplay after hitting his flush?

River: ($3.60) 5 (2 Players)

BB bets $2.75, Hero calls $2.75

I check over the betting again. If he had a king, wouldn't he checkraise or lead out because of the flush draw? If he had TT/99, could he bet for value here? If he had flush, wouldn't he have bet turn?

Well, maybe he was going for the checkraise, and my check behind kept the pot small. I decide there are enough bluffs in his range to try and snap him off with third pair.

Results: $9.10 Pot ($0.45 Rake)

Hero mucked 7 8 and LOST (-$4.50 NET)

BB showed J K and WON $8.65 (+$4.40 NET)

Villain had the king all along, something I discounted.

I finally won a big pot with a flush over flush, and some small ones to post a win on the night. When I lost back to back hands with AK (4 bet preflop by tight player, folded), and AQ (vs QT, called a bluff raise with a gutshot and hit a 3 outer ten on the turn), I knew my luck had run out for the night.


1 comment:

joxum said...

I'm such a fish in cash games, so don't take it as the gospel:

With the loosenes of a 5-handed game, I'd say his range could be 22-77, KQ,KJ, QJ. It could very well also include stuff like rag Aces and KT, depending on circumstances.

On the Flop, you are already behind this range.

Turn - well, he may be just as scared of a flush as you are, but he may not be folding a King, so I dunno if you could bet to make him go away.

At the River, this range is likely to have hit something that beats you.

So unless your history says he's not unlikely to bluff with air, the River is a fold.

/j.