Saturday, June 12, 2010

they say it all evens out...

Not sure I believe them. Had a nice session last night where I booked a buy-in and a half and went to be feeling good about my game. This afternoon - I lost twice that amount running into a buzzsaw, and actually felt grateful to get away down 2.5 buy-ins.

Here's an example hand.

Feral Cow Poker Hand Converter
Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em $0.05/$0.10 - 9 players

Button: $12.51 (Hero)
SB: $4.41

Preflop: ($0.15) Hero is Button with (9 players)
6 folds, Hero raises to $0.30,
Standard button steal.

SB raises to $1, BB folds,
A resteal. This is Rush poker, so three betting is commonplace. I only have 9 hands on him, but I have seen one three bet in those nine hands. I decide to 4 bet. He started with less than half a stack, so I'm not folding if I make this 4 bet.

Hero raises to $2, SB raises to $4.40, and is all in, Hero calls $2.40

Flop: ($8.95) (2 players)

Turn: ($8.95) (2 players)

River: ($8.95) (2 players)

Hero showed , and lost with a pair of Tens
SB showed , and won ($8.31) with a pair of Tens
SB won $8.31
(Rake: $0.59)

Nothing crazy there, just me getting myself into a pickle with a dominated ace. Maybe I'm out-thinking myself, but I've got a player I know is capable of three-betting, in a standard three betting situation, plus I've got an ace myself which lessens the chances he has one. Finally, I fourbet myself into 2.7:1 odds on the river. If he had flipped his AK face up, my call with A9 is a break-even one. If he flips over kings, my call is a money winner! So it appears I made good decisions all the way through, and then simply ran into a better hand and lost.

I would also point out that I have dropped down to NL10. This isn't a bankroll issue - more of a personal challenge to myself to rebuild my roll from a tiny amount. It's also proof to myself that poker for me isn't about the money - it's more about the competition. Good thing it isn't about the money - my 0.56 BB/100 win rate in the micros this year isn't going to let me retire anytime soon.

Keep working, keep improving, keep studying.


No comments: