Monday, June 14, 2010

one hand either way can make or break the session

666 hands of Rush 10NL tonight (Dio would have been proud). An even session - won some, lost some. Down to a $6 loss, then chipped up to a $2 win, then back down losing half a buy-in with jacks to kings (people on the button should NOT show up with kings - that's not fair. Thankfully the flop was all hearts which I think kept his value bets down)

I knew that I was playing well - my reads were good, I was sticking to profitable ranges, and I wasn't making huge postflop mistakes. - I just needed that one hand to make my session.

Converting hands till the cows come home
Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em $0.05/$0.10 - 9 players

HJ: $4.49
CO: $11.06
Button: $5.92
SB: $19.66
BB: $10.62 - 25/0, only 12 hands.
UTG: $9.51 - 12/6 nit/setminer, only 17 hands though
UTG+1: $10.88 - no hands at all, total unknown
MP: $4.00
MP2: $14.44 (Hero)

Preflop: ($0.15) Hero is MP2 with (9 players)
UTG calls $0.10, UTG+1 raises to $0.40, MP folds, Hero calls $0.40, 4 folds, BB calls $0.30, UTG calls $0.30

the nit limps UTG, and gets immediately iso-raised. I considered re-raising here, but this more or less turns my hand into a bluff, and my villain is a total unknown, so I have no knowledge that he even knows how to isolate with a wide range. He could actually have a big hand. I may open myself up to a squeeze by calling so early, but pocket tens are too strong to fold, so the only play left is to call. We hit the flop 4-handed.

Flop: ($1.65) (4 players)

Pretty good flop for me, I would say. Top set and two babies, and a flush draw for someone to chase.

BB checks,
UTG bets $1, Even better, UTG comes out swinging. Why would he lead out with the raiser behind him?

UTG+1 raises to $2.80
, The dream sequence - looks like the iso-raiser has an overpair. Do I smooth call and try trap both of them? Maybe they both have overpairs! (did original limper limp with aces to trap?) A thousand possibilities whip through the mind, but in the end I decide no freaking heart draw is getting there for free against me. It looks like UTG+1 has a hand he's willing to go with, so I raise it up...


Hero raises to $5
, BB folds,

UTG raises to $9.11, and is all in
.
It just gets better and better - UTG has a hand he's willing to go with too!. Let's say top pair, overpair, set, or heart draw. Now all I need is UTG+1 to call or shove over him...

UTG+1 folds
, Damn. He thought about it for quite a bit, but he decided two people raising after his raise meant his top pair/overpair was no good. Nice fold by him. Ok, now all I have to do is avoid the suckout...

Hero calls $4.11

Turn: ($22.67) (2 players) Nice of the poker gods to quad me up on the turn, making the river meaningless.

River: ($22.67) (2 players)

UTG showed , and lost with a full house, Twos full of Tens
Hero showed , and won ($21.16) with four of a kind, Tens
Hero won $21.16
(Rake: $1.51)

Set over set. Everyone played perfectly - you don't fold sets for 100 big blinds in NLHE, you go broke with them. The hand really played itself post-flop, I was fortunate to be on the top end of this one. It gave me another winning night and 4 out of 5 winning sessions at my new NL10 level.

1 comment:

The Poker Meister said...

NH, sir. You 3bet PF, and UTG is likely folding his 22. NH, WP. A shame you couldn't get the triple up with UTG+1... As played, nice payout and nice run at 10nl.