Tuesday, August 31, 2010

month in review

I ended the month down 3 buy-ins. I'll take it considering I was down 8 buy-ins three days ago. Add rakeback and bonuses, my bankroll is just about right where it started on Aug 1.

Another decent night tonight - hitting a few two pairs and sets and squeaking out some extra value on the river with a small, callable bet or raise. I made one play I didn't like - trying to pick off a bluff with a pair of aces when the runner-runner flush got there. Another one of those combo-draw deals where I couldn't see how he could have called a flop bet and then hit a flush - turns out he had second pair and then hit runner-runner. Hard to make those combo-reads, and cost me 63 blinds. It was the only hand where I lost more than 20 out of the 763 hands played tonight.

Finally, it doesn't hurt your winrate when you play against someone who doesn't know when they're beat.

once a cow has a taste for violence, it reverts. it becomes feral.
Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em $0.05/$0.10 - 6 players

SB: $21.69
BB: $19.00 (Hero)
UTG: $8.10
UTG+1: $34.71
CO: $35.17
Button: $10.00

Preflop: ($0.15) Hero is BB with (6 players)
UTG calls $0.10, 4 folds, Hero checks
I don't usually punish limpers when I'm out of position. I'm also less likely to do it when the limper is under the gun. Let's see a flop...

Flop: ($0.25) (2 players)
Hero bets $0.12, UTG raises to $0.24, Hero calls $0.12
And it's a nice flop too. Trips for me and the second nuts. I give my famous "weak lead please don't call" (patent pending) move and get raised. What's he raising with? Well, if he's got pocket tens, he wins. I'm not folding this sucker. I call the min raise.

Turn: ($0.73) (2 players)
Hero checks, UTG bets $0.10, Hero raises to $2, UTG calls $1.90
A queen is good - limpers don't usually have QQ. But they could have QJ/KQ/QT. When villain minbets, I have to checkraise on the bigger side to make sure I can shove river. He calls. I have zero idea what he's holding right now, but I'm not afraid of much on this board. My best guess is Queen-Ten.

River: ($4.73) (2 players)
Let's see. J8 and KJ got there. Did he raise me on the flop with KJ? Can't see it. No suits were around for semibluffing, or straight draws. I suppose he could have called the checkraise with KJ as it's a legitimate draw. It's more likely he's got some kind of 3, but I can't see an under the gun limp with a 3. Well, he's felt like sticking around this long, and he's got just over a pot sized bet left in his stack, let's see if he wants to give it to me. If he's got J8 or KJ, or one of the sets, I'll be giving it to him.

Hero bets $16.66, and is all in, UTG calls $5.76, and is all in

Hero showed , and won ($15.17) with three of a kind, Threes
UTG mucked
Hero won $15.17
(Rake: $1.08)

Slowplayed aces. Brilliant! You would think checkraising someone to 19 times their original bet, and a river overshove, would be a clue that I like my hand, but he couldn't let the rockets go.

Good thing the case ace didn't come on the river, LOL.