Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Forcing myself to be aggressive


A nice night of poker - started with 100 or so hands of full ring. Played well but lost 20 blinds. Then I jumped into a 9 man sit-n-go and actually took the thing down, increasing my current meager bankroll by 8% or so.

It was still early but not too early, so I ended with 20 minutes of Rush poker, when this hand came up.

Feral Cow Converter...
Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em $0.05/$0.10 - 9 players

SB: $8.21
BB: $10.81 (Hero)
UTG: $8.40
UTG+1: $4.84
MP: $15.91
MP2: $9.50
HJ: $17.09
CO: $17.07
Button: $10.38

Preflop: ($0.15) Hero is BB with (9 players)
2 folds, MP raises to $0.30, MP2 calls $0.30, HJ folds, CO calls $0.30, 2 folds,

Pocket jacks in the blinds, multiple callers. My brain says squeeze, but my inner nit says call. He (the inner nit) warns me that the initial raiser is in early position and probably has a strong range. (I have only 2 hands of history on him so no help there).

In studying my hand history database, just about every finding I make that keeps me from going to the next level in my poker career is related to not being aggressive enough. It occurs to me mid-hand that good players squeeze as a bluff, I'm sure they do it with pocket jacks for value.

Hero raises to $1.70, 2 folds, CO calls $1.40

Flop: ($4.05) (2 players)

One ridiculous caller, probably trying to flop a set on me. But it doesn't matter. I've got an overpair and an SPR of 2. There is no folding. He wins with a set or 78. I could try and get cute if I knew his tendencies, but once again I have no hands on him. I also don't want to see a queen, king, or ace after giving a free card if I check. This may not the optimal EV play, but it is the most aggressive, and, as I said, I need the practice.

Hero bets $4.05, CO folds
Hero won $3.78
(Rake: $0.27)

It occurs to me right after this hand that the most aggressive play is often the easiest to play postflop. Dead money gave me an unfoldable overpair, and I went with it and won a decent pot. This single hand made up for the lost 20 blinds from the earlier cash session.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey man,

Calling pre in that hand would have been fine imo but you played it well.

Would you be willing to swap blog links with me? I've already added you to mine @ http://atkinator.net

Cheers,
James