Monday, January 17, 2011

Funny misclick makes me play like Durrr.

Actually, I probably play this entire hand badly on every postflop street. But I bail myself out with some quick thinking on the river.

Feral Cow Poker
Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em $0.05/$0.10 - 7 players

SB: $7.38
BB: $10.23
UTG: $4.15
UTG+1: $3.90
HJ: $11.94 (Hero)
CO: $8.15
Button: $29.54

Preflop: ($0.10) Hero is HJ with (7 players)
BB folds, UTG calls $0.10, UTG+1 folds, Hero raises to $0.50, 3 folds, UTG calls $0.40
So I punish the limper with AQ. Villain is a 40/3 after 30 hands.

Flop: ($1.10) (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero checks
Working on not cbetting 100% of the time. This was probably a good board to do it, but villain's aggression factor is under 1.0, meaning he's much more likely to call (though this bet might still be a value bet if I think villain is so bad that he calls with unpaired overs).

Turn: ($1.10) (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets $0.70, UTG calls $0.70
Ok, once villain checks to me twice, I'm going to bet. The flush card is not pretty, and gives him plenty more hands that will call a bet and make this bet not work by itself. My plan is to fire again on a non-heart river.

River: ($2.50) (2 players)
UTG bets $0.80,
Well, that's not the card I wanted to see. It gives me a pair, but many of the hands villain called the turn bet with are now flushes and better than my pair. When villain bets so small into this pot, I start to type "small heart?", and my plan is to call the bet getting 4:1 odds (is there a 20% chance he has no heart and my ace is good? I think so). But when I hit the enter key, my keyboard mapping software puts in a raise in addition to entering my text in the chat!
Hero raises to $2.90
,

What a disaster! I've turned a weak showdown hand into a bluff that has a high likelihood of being called. Fishy villains don't like to fold flushes, even if they are ten-high. That's why you bet big or shove when you hit a big flush against them!

The villain begins to tank. Quickly, I check over the situation. I have just asked the villain "small heart? in chat. Maybe there's a way to change the meaning of that message. I add the following extra message.

"mine's bigger".


UTG folds
Hero won $3.83
(Rake: $0.27)

It works! I turn my top pair into a wicked bluff raise and get him to fold what might have been the better hand (though there's a chance he had a weak ace also that I would have won at showdown).

No comments: